Careers in Fashion Field After 12th
Fashion has become an inseparable part of our daily life with the modernization of the world. The world is growing and becoming more aware of the fashion aspects. Various industries and sectors have been recognized for this purpose only, thus there is a great demand for fashion experts and designers. Fashion designing includes the creativity, design, texture, pattern, style, fabric and quality of fashion apparel, accessories, goods and manufacturing process. Fashion is not only about wearing stylish clothes but also means makeup, jewellery, photography and interior design. It is one of the most sought careers by fashion enthusiasts.
The field of Fashion is a kind of the applied arts. If you have an interest in fashion, then it is the most excellent field for you to have a professional job and career with the help of some fashion-oriented course. To understand it better and to explore the career option in the fashion field after 12th class, let’s read this article till the end.
How to prepare for a possible career in fashion design after 12th Class
It’s always better and preferred to be prepared in advance to meet the fashion career needs. That’s why doing some related courses or some self-preparation after or during high school can help you a lot. Here are some important preparation tips you can take:
• This great way to start developing an eye for colour, shape, proportion, design, style, fabric and texture is to study art.
• Sharp your arithmetic skills, which are fundamental for calculation, measuring and understanding the proportion in design and pattern.
• Study and learn how to use visual design software such as CorelDraw, Xara, Photoshop, SerifDrawPlus etc.
• Try to take home economics classes to learn and train you on how to sew, prepare and cut garment patterns to design and create costumes.
• Read fashion and art blogs, books, and magazines. You need to refer to the best books and study fashion design material. Choose the right study material for preparation as it is important to obtain good knowledge.
To acquire a successful career in the fashion field after 12th class, the following skills are required:
- Creativity and strong vision
- Understanding fashion trend, fabric, colour and style.
- Understanding of pattern cutting, grading and garment construction.
- Good communication skills.
- Decision making skill.
- Knowledge about business and business skills
- Excellent drawing skills
A career in the fashion field can start right from the completion of the plus two or 12th standard. You may choose the diploma course, certificate course or the degree course as per your liking and convenience. There is also some certificate course in fashion designing after 10th standard.
There are three types of courses available after the 10th and 12th as the following:
- Certificate courses of the duration of one year after 10th.
- Diploma courses of the duration of one or two years after 12th.
- Degree courses of the duration of three years after 12th.
- Diploma in Fashion Design – 1 Year
- Diploma in Interior Design – 1 Year
- Diploma in Fashion Business Management – 1 Year
- Diploma in Fashion Styling – 3 Months
- Diploma in Visual Merchandising – 6 Months
- Diploma in Jewellery Design (CAD) – 6 Months
- Diploma in Fashion Communication – 1 Year
Mainly there are three types of fashion designing: Haute couture (High Customization), Ready to wear (Low Customization) and Mass market (No Customization). Fashion enthusiast who are looking for and planning to choose fashion design as the career for themselves after 12th, need to be eager towards the fashion world.
The fashion industry is one of the best and huge earning industries in the world. In the very initial stage of the career, you may be the assistant of any famous designer and may earn from Rs. 10,000 to Rs. 15,000 per month. After getting a few years of experience you may fetch up to Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 40,000 per month. Once you have gained a good name and experience then there is no limit to earning.
A career in the fashion field is exciting as well as Glamorous in today’s modern world.
The fashion industry is flourishing and providing huge opportunities for fashion enthusiasts. The demand for Haute couture and the ready-made outfit is escalating day by day and in the same proportion the demand for enthusiastic, skilled and talented designers.
You may start and set your own business or work with the fashion retail store, design house, fashion industry, jeweller’s store, boutiques, textile mills, media house, fashion show organizers, leather companies, garment store, garment manufacturers and several export houses.
Some career profile after the completion of 12th class in the fashion field could be:
- Freelancer Designer
- Costume designer
- Fashion consultant
- Personal stylist
- Technical designer
- Graphic designer
- Production pattern maker
- Fashion coordinator
- Apparel production manager
- Fabric buyer
- Fabric quality control manager
- Showroom sales representative
- Cutting assistant
- Outside sales representative
After the completion of the course from a prestigious fashion institute like JD Institute of Fashion Technology, etc, you can apply in fashion houses run and managed by top fashion designers like Abu Jani, JJ Valaya, Neeta Lulla, Rina Dhaka, Manish Malhotra, Ritu Beri, Rohit Bal, Rocky S, Tarun Tahiliani, etc. One can also think of applying in textile and fabric manufacturing production units.