Interior Designer’s Salary in India & Abroad
What is the Salary of an Interior Designer?
Interior designing requires a high level of skilling – both the art and science of it are required to transform a space, to optimize its functionality and in design and form, within and externally, making it aesthetically appealing. No wonder then, that interior designing is a highly rewarding profession financially and people are interested to know about the average salary of Interior Designers, as also in terms of creativity and job satisfaction.
Table of Contents
A demanding job this, on account of client deadlines and matching their expectations, and taxing for the designer for there is a constant need to innovate, design, execute and produce some spectacular work in the end. Patience with client briefings and good communication skills go a long way to winning over clients, retaining them, and the word-of-mouth publicity that comes with all this.
Getting a qualification in subjects like a bachelor’s degree or associate degree in an interior design program/certification sets one off on the right path. Getting admission starts naturally at the entry-level, then there is an intermediate, or master’s degree, depending on the level of work experience or skill one has picked up.
Cities famous for spectacular design work are New York, London, Paris, Copenhagen, and Milan. The cities are witness to some excellent work in interior decoration.
Some of the most promising countries that pay well for interior design careers are:
United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Spain, China, and Japan. Again, these countries have some of the best centers of learning for Interior designing – in terms of superior courses and excellent faculty.
As a start, a design school or art college is best to get enrolled into. Some countries provide degree programs for interior design, alongside extensive training programs for skilling up and gaining exposure.
Average Salary of an Interior Designer in INDIA
India too has seen a rise in enrolment at colleges and design institutions for admissions to interior design courses and certain metro cities have emerged as hubs for interior design work. Newer and emerging cities too have seen some iconic work and creativity in terms of interior design.
- The average pay scales of Interior Designers are ₹ 390,000 per year or ₹ 200 per hour.
- Entry-level positions start at ₹ 249,000 per year, while those with experience can expect to earn up to ₹ 650,000 per year. The graphic representation below gives an idea.
Median ₹ 390,000
Low ₹ 249,000 – High₹ 650,000
Interior Designers with less than a year of experience, right up to those with 31 years of work experience draw salaries from the range indicated. Some examples of salary scales are indicated with regard to seniority and specialisations –
- Senior Interior Designer salary can range from ₹ 6.0 to ₹ 11.0 Lakhs;
- Architect Interior Designer salary– ₹ 4.4 to ₹ 10.1 Lakhs; 3D Interior Designer Salary–₹ 3.0L to ₹ 7.4 Lakhs;
- Junior Interior Designer Salary– ₹ 3.0 to ₹ 5.4 Lakhs;
A Freelance Interior Designer‘s salary can range from ₹ 4.5 to ₹ 10.1 Lakhs; that of a 3D Visualizer and Interior Designer’s salary ranges from –₹ .9 to ₹14.1 Lakhs. In India, those earning the maximum salaries are those skilled and experienced in Interior Designing, as also at AutoCAD execution.
Average Salary of an Interior Designer in UNITED STATES
The United States which has a mature market for Interior design is still expected to hit its peak by 2025. As per the survey conducted in 2018, this particular market is valued at USD 130,100 million. Therefore, given this market size, the learning centers and universities that churn out hundreds of prospective interior designers also find these very spots very lucrative to embark on such a career.
An Interior Designer in the United States makes an average yearly salary of 90,100 USD (7,510 USD monthly), with a lower and upper range extending from 48,700 USD to 136,000 USD. This includes housing, transport, and other benefits and varies according to experience, skills, and location
The experience level clearly determines salary scales, where an interior designer with less than two years of experience makes approximately 56,500 USD per year.
- A designer with two to five years’ experience can expect to earn up to 71,400 USD per year, 26% more than someone with less than two years of experience.
- Experience between five and ten years can fetch a of 94,100 USD per year, 32% more than someone with two to five years of experience
- Those with ten to fifteen years get a salary equivalent to 111,000 USD per year, 18% more than someone with five to ten years of experience
- Work experience of fifteen to twenty years, then the expected wage is 123,000 USD per year, 11% more than someone with ten to fifteen years of experience.
- Professional experience of twenty and more years get a salary of 130,000 USD per year, 6% more than people with fifteen to twenty years of experience.
The educational qualifications of an interior decorator rank high when it comes to paying scales. Someone with a high school certificate may expect to earn 68,800 USD per year. A diploma or a certificate holder gets an average salary of 77,500 USD per year, an interior designer with a Bachelor’s Degree gets an average salary of 102,000 USD per year, 32% more than someone with a Certificate or Diploma. Professionals with Master’s Degrees get paid a handsome salary of 126,000 USD per year. The average hourly wage (pay per hour) in the United States is 43 USD.
Average Salary of an Interior Designer in CANADA
In Canada the average yearly salary for an interior designer is 121,000 CAD; The salaries at the starting level can be 60,600 CAD with a high 188,000 CAD for the very experienced. The above indicated salaries include housing, transport, and other benefits.
- An Interior Designer in Canada with less than two years of experience makes approximately 72,700 CAD per year. While someone with an experience level between two and five years is expected to earn 96,200 CAD per year
- An experience level between five and ten years lands a salary of 129,000 CAD per year, 34% more than someone with two to five years of experience
- If the experience level is between fifteen and twenty years, then the expected wage is 166,000 CAD per year, 8% more than someone with ten to fifteen years of experience
- Lastly, employees with more than twenty years of professional experience get a salary of 178,000 CAD per year, 7% more than people with fifteen to twenty years of experience
Average Monthly Salary 609,000 JPY or 7,310,000 JPY yearly; the pay scale range varies between 311,000 JPY and 938,000 JPY per month. This gross salary is inclusive of housing, transport, and other benefits. Architect salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location. Below you will find a detailed breakdown based on many different criteria.
Average Salary Of An Interior Designer In JAPAN
The experience level is the most important factor in determining the salary. Naturally the more years of experience the higher your wage.
- An Architect Designer with less than two years of experience makes approximately 348,000 JPY per month
- While someone with an experience level between two and five years is expected to earn 455,000 JPY per month, 31% more than someone with less than two- year experience.
• Five and ten years lands a salary of 637,000 JPY per month, 40% more than someone with two to five years of experience, and so on…
We all know that higher education equals a bigger salary, and a Bachelor’s Degree can fetch an average salary of 430,000 JPY per month. A Master’s Degree can help a professional earn 763,000 JPY per month, 77% more than someone having a Bachelor’s Degree.
Average Salary Of An Interior Designer In SPAIN
The average Monthly Salary in Spain for an interior designer is 34,500 EUR yearly. A person working as an Interior
Designer in Spain typically earns around 2,880 EUR per month. Salaries range from 1,350 EUR (lowest) to 4,540 EUR (highest).
This is the average monthly salary including housing, transport, and other benefits. Interior Designer salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location. Below you will find a detailed breakdown based on many different criteria.
he educational qualifications impact the salaries that interior designers command in Spain. For example,
- A High School certificate can fetch an average salary for an interior designer to the tune of 1,930 EUR per month • A professional certification or a Diploma holder in interior decoration can earn a salary of 2,250 EUR per month, 17% more than someone having a High School degree
- A Bachelor’s Degree holder can command an average salary of 3,270 EUR per month, 45% more than someone with a Certificate or Diploma.
- Professionals with a Master’s Degree are rewarded handsomely with an average salary of 4,290 EUR per month, which is 31% more than someone with a Bachelor’s Degree.
One data to incentivize the ‘would be’ Interior Designer looking for opportunities in Spain is that a salary increase happens of approximately 11% every eighteen months! In Spain, an interior designer’s job fetches a moderate amount of bonus, unless of course involved in direct revenue generation.
Check our next blog If you are curious to know How much do fashion designers Earn?