Since time inception, jewellers have used every sort of metal they can acquire for jewellery making. When new alloys or metals emerge like titanium and stainless steel, they readily embrace them. Jewellers adapt them for jewellery making and create beautiful designs and patterns. Fashion trends consuming much trendy metal comes and goes. However, three jewellery metals only have withstood the test of time and continue to have the strongest existence in modern jewellery – Gold, Silver, and Platinum. Now the questions arise which is classy to wear and style – Gold, Silver or Platinum?
Gold, Silver, and Platinum present worldwide, but not in large enough quantities. They’re considered precious metals and have been used as the currency. Many cultures, historically and currently, consider these three metals attractive, rich and enchanting, which increases their appeal. These metals also possess malleability and required strength which makes them a practical choice for jewellery making.
For these entire motives, the trio of gold, silver and platinum persistently enjoy considerable status as jewellery metals. But still, the question remains the same amongst gold, silver and platinum which is classy? To find out the answer let’s look into each metal properties.
For centuries gold has been considered for its sheen and beauty. Gold possesses properties that have captivated humanity. Gold never tarnishes and has enormous workability. It can last for an indefinite period which makes it a prized metal to jewellers as well as consumers. It doesn’t oxidize or corrode. Only hot chlorine bleach can damage the gold. It can be reused by melting down the old gold items also.
Real pure gold has softness which means it wears out easily. However, an amalgamation of gold with other metals creates gold alloys that are stronger, more resilient and enhanced suitably for jewellery making. Metals generally alloyed with gold for jewellery are silver, copper, nickel, iron, zinc, tin, manganese, cadmium, and titanium. Pure gold which does not contain any other metals, is termed 24-karat gold. Gold required is stamping and hallmarking according to its purity.
Coloured Gold like rose gold, yellow gold and white gold is gaining popularity amongst the jewels for designing. It is fetching great demand in recent times and becoming popular compare to tradition gold.
Numerous factors make silver one of the most popular and accepted jewellery metals. Its lustre ranks as its most dazzling visual feature. Silver is more plentiful and cheaper than gold or platinum. However, silver conducts heat so well, it’s more difficult to work than gold. Like gold, pure silver is soft and easily breakable. Therefore, jewellery makers alloy silver with harder metals to progress its durability. With silver alloys, they can make attractive and stunning, strong daily wear jewellery pieces.
The most common and popular silver alloy is sterling silver. Sterling silver consists of 92.5% silver and one or more metals comprise the other 7.5%. Although jewellers use sterling silver enormously because of its demand in the market.
Platinum is rarer and more expensive than gold. It has unparalleled holding power, durability and it doesn’t tarnish. It has an enormously high melting point and defies corrosion. These qualities make it one of the most highly popular, finest jewellery metals, chiefly for engagement and wedding rings.
It became a symbol of wealth and status for early 20th-century celebrities. Stars like Greta Garbo frequently appeared on film with platinum jewellery and accessories. The 530-carat “Star of Africa” diamond has a platinum setting in the British royal sceptre.
Sometimes comparing gold, silver and platinum is comparing apples and oranges. Each metal possesses some wonderful qualities, strengths and weaknesses. Each metal has its own sheen and luxury. Sometimes it depends on the jewellery designer and maker to represent it in the classier, prettier and richer way in front of the consumer.
Post Graduate Diploma In Interior Design – 2 Years | Advance Diploma In Interior Design – 3 Years | | Diploma In Interior Design – 1 Year |Post Graduate Diploma In Fashion Communication – 2 Years | Post Graduate Diploma In Fashion Design And Management – 2 Years | Advance Diploma In Fashion And Apparel Design – 3 Years | Fashion Business Management – 1 Year | Diploma In Fashion Design – 1 Year | Pattern Making & Garment Manufacturing – 6 Months | Fashion Illustration – 6 Months | Advance Fashion Draping – 6 Months | Visual Merchandising – 6 Months | Jewellery Design – 6 Months | Fashion Marketing – 6 Months | Professional Make-Up And Hair Styling Artistry – 6 Months | Fashion Styling – 3 Months | Fashion Photography – 3 Months |Fashion Jewellery – 2 Months
© 2021 All Rights Reserved By JD Institute Of Fashion Technology